Old 09-29-2010, 05:55 AM
CircleSquare

Originally Posted by fancifrock
In speaking with many other hand quilters, we all feel that too much emphasis is being put on the longarm quilting. What ever happened to all the beautiful handwork that went with quilting. Many pieces that we see are pieced beautiful but all of that "quilting" is taking away from the real work that has been done.

I personally feel that some of the longarm quilting is beautiful but is overpowering the quilt pieceing and work.

Longarm users in this area who bought their machines with the idea of paying for it by doing work for others are not making out very well. Thank goodness some are going back to hand work or just plain can't afford to pay to have their quilts done by someone else with the rotten economy.
What you say is certainly true... There is nothing like hand quilting! However, not everyone has the time, ability, patience, etc., to hand-quilt. That's where we come in.
But it is also true that sometimes the quilting overpowers the piecing and the over-all look of the quilt. I am very careful to choose a quilting design and thread color that will enhance or compliment the quilt, not detract from it. And I personally don't care for a heavily-quilted quilt, which seems to be what the show judges want. I don't do quilts for shows! :roll:
Here's a charity quilt I just finished. It's one of Marge LaBenne's charity quilt patterns, called Salt Water Taffy. I did the piecing and the longarm quilting on this one.

Salt Water Taffy
[ATTACH=CONFIG]108902[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-108897.jpe