View Single Post
Old 09-29-2010, 06:35 AM
moonangel12

I don't have a pic of my first quilt - not sure where it is... I guess DH has it somewhere at his parents house?? It's pretty similar to this one, just smaller. This is the second one I made for him since the first was too small. It pretty much covers the top of a queen size mattress from edge to edge, a good fit for a twin. Just a basic 12" block made from a cardboard template and cut with scissors - needless to say they were anything but square! My grandma helped me, but let me do 99% of it myself (she was there to tear out the seams when I messed up, which was often since I was tired and sick throughout most of the process :lol: ). Each print material has a meaning behind it and I tried to coordinate the colors the best I could. I don't think any of the seams match up, I didn't know anything about seam allowance or anything. I just sewed them up in rows! The "batting" is a mixture of old flannel sheets, an old table cloth, and one or two other things (I was either a senior in HS or a freshman in college when I made it over Christmas break - either way not exactly rolling in the dough!). It's heavy to say the least, but DH still uses it! I tied it at each corner to try and cover up those obvious mistakes! I also didn't know how to do binding, and was totally stumped so I got some iron on tape stuff and used it to finish it off. I noticed that some of it is starting to some undone so I guess I need to fix it. I guess everyone has to start somewhere, right?
Attached Thumbnails attachment-109757.jpe   attachment-109758.jpe