Thread: Where You Live
View Single Post
Old 09-29-2010, 09:02 AM
mosquitosewgirl

Location: Currently Mosquito (which is outside of Placerville) California

Originally Posted by stitchinwitch
Do you absolutely LOVE where you live and if so, why? OR are you anxious to "get outta Dodge" and if so, why?
I used to not love where I live...after almost 25 years, getting used to it. The not loving it is in large part due to the weather. I grew up in a small town north of Seattle, called Lake Stevens. We had enough sunshine and enough rain, and it rarely got over 85. Where I live now, we haven't had ANY rain since June and it will be over 100 again today. I frequently feel like I'm going to dry up and blow away. Where I am now is also a fairly small town, with a lot of families that have been here for 8 or 9 generations, and for a long time felt like I would never fit in...all of a sudden over the past year or so, I have really begun to feel like I do belong. And, when we retire, it will be hard to leave in many aspects.

That being said....I have two answers to where and why...If I were to move with my husband, it will be to Montana for the flyfishing...if he doesn't have a hobby, he won't live long (because he would bug me until I had to do him in LOL). If I were moving by myself, I would return home to the Pacific Northwest. Not to the town I grew up in because it has gotten tooooooooooooo big, but further north, because I really want a small town.

And....that being said...my sister that lives here will be 70 when my husband retires. Her DILs are not the caretaking types (they are lovely - just not nurturing) and she has no daughters. When our mom was dying, my sister made me promise that I would do the same for her that we did for our mom...no one (other than Mary and I) ever saw our mom without her false teeth. Not even our dad or step-dad. My sister's husband has never seen her without hers either. So....even when my husband retires, it might not be easy to move away and not be here to take care of my sister.

Aren't you glad you asked? LOL