View Single Post
Old 09-29-2010, 12:24 PM
fishnlady

Originally Posted by Butterflyblue
My first quilt was started because my younger sister was making her boyfriend a quilt with pieced fish, and I thought "That looks neat". I tried a block of the pieced fish, but didn't understand seam allowances, so it came out looking like a tree.

So I found this applique design in a book and enlarged it. The other squares were all scraps and some charm squares my mom had from a swap or something. I just randomly sewed them all together. I started it one summer after my junior year of college and didn't finish it until three years later (it just sat in a box in between). I wanted it to be a double, initially, but got tired of sewing squares together, so I made it lap size.

Now it is my TV quilt, and my daughter seems to really like the colorfulness of it.

This is the quilt I made when I didn't know how to quilt, so I ironed all the seams open (although my mom did tell me to use 1/4" seams) and some of the fabrics are not just poly blends, but also at least one that is pure polyester. I think there are a couple of rayons, too. Pulled the back around for binding and hand-tied it.
Love your quilt. It is really cute. I like fishes. Ü