Old 09-29-2010, 09:19 PM
selm

All the suggestions here have been very good. I got my LA a little over 2 yrs ago and did a lot of research on the internet and through books. Do you know much about the actual process of operating a LA? If you can, it could be helpful to go to the Houston International Quilt Show. I think it is early November this year. You could take some beginner classes which will explain the actual sewing process as well as classes that explore all aspects of the business side of things. You can also see many makes of machine at the show. This is what I did to be sure this is what I wanted to do.
I'm lucky as I live in the Northeast and have been able go to MQX each year for more classes(this is a business expense).
On the internet, search on "longarm quilting services in TX" and find nearby people with websites to get ideas of charges, types of website setup, etc.
Go to Amazon.com and see the various books relating to the quilting and the business aspects.
My business has been very slow, partly my own doing as I haven't pushed marketing as I was working outside the home part-time until very recently. I'll start marketing more very soon. I only want a part-time quilting business anyway, but could use more customers to keep me busier than I've been.
I really like doing the quilting
Definitely don't go into business if you need to rely on quilt income to pay a loan. Too much pressure!
Don't forget to take in to account the size of the machine and table and whether or not you have room for it.
Good luck in whatever you decide.
Sally :thumbup: