View Single Post
Old 09-30-2010, 04:05 AM
May in Jersey

No 4H where I grew up but girls had sewing in 7th and 8th grades, while the boys had shop. In 7th grade we made pj's and had to model them at a school assembly in June, boy was that embarassing for 12 year old girls. 8th grade we made our white graduation dresses. Graduation dress had French seams, you can imagine how that white dress looked after being handled from Sept. to June of 8th grade. It was difficult sewing these items together as there was only one sewing machine in our sewing class and at home we had a treadle that I never really mastered, good thing we had all term to make them. My MIL gave me her old White sewing machine in 1960 and I began sewing a little, mostly simple curtains and repairs to clothes. I didn't begin quilting until 1999.

We also had cooking in those grades. I'm the oldest of 7 children and had been cooking since I was six years old so cooking class was easy for me. We recorded the recipes in note books that we had covered with oilcloth. One thing new to me was using measuring cups and spoons, at home we used and coffee cup and regular spoons, no wonder my cakes came out so heavy. May in Jersey