View Single Post
Old 09-30-2010, 05:08 AM
dsb38327

I have machine quilted each quilt I have made. Mine are California King, King and Queen with only a few baby size. Each quilt 'quilted' different. Some were a breeze, some were monsters, and some were just victims, some fought with me and some just gave in.
One of my favorite quilts was whole piece with super thick batting. I was innocent, I didn't know better. It fought, I won. It has been washed repeatedly for years. It is still fluffy and doesn't look 'aged'.
My next roll of batting was thin. I chose it because it was the one on sale. What a lucky day for me! Thin batting is now my choice. The quilts are much easier to sandwich and obedient when being quilted.
The Quiltingboard introduced me to the value of a walking foot. How did I survive without one? Oh, my, goodness! On my present quilt, I learned a new (for me) trick that saved my quilt and my sanity. The quilt is a Bargello so it is strips. My success factor was using the walking foot and the basting length stitch. I stitched close to the seams to sandwich the quilt then came back over that with a decorative stitch.
I have also learned I don't have to have all of the quilt under the throat of the machine to get to the area I am sewing. Try laying the quilt on the workspace, leave the bulk of the quilt there. Bring the outer edge or corner of the sandwich under the walking foot and slide it until your needle is where you want to stitch. Smooth that space and stitch then keep smoothing and stitching.
Good luck, don't let the quilt win!!!!!!!