View Single Post
Old 09-30-2010, 06:06 AM
Edie

In this day and age, provenance is very important. Not only do I have a label, but sometimes I will put on a signature square, which consists of who it goes to, who made it, date and city and state and most importantly the year.

I also write a book to go with each quilt that I give to someone. That is provenance proof-positive.

People like to know the history of things, why that block is there, why you used that particular design, why you used that particular fabric, what was going on that day, what the weather was like, what the headlines were, little unimportant things that may not be important to someone, but are important to you and you would like to pass that along.

My mother told me yesterday that my grandfather could play the doodlesack (accordian) only when he had a few under his belt. I would love to tell you the song that he sang, but Mom can remember only two lines, and it just isn't proper! Mom is 94 and I never knew that about Grandpa before.......not that he drank, because I knew he did (not to excess), but that he could play the doodlesack. It was funny because I borrowed a friend's accordian and her book and learned how to play it without any lessons. Either did my grandfather - only difference being he had to be snockered, which going on to another story was being 1/2 snockered on Christmas Eve one year and I played Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring on the organ for the Christmas service without a mistake - one and only time. I must have part of my grandfather in me and just found out. Those are the kind of stories I would put in the book that I write for the quilt if I am giving it to a member of the family - Sorry for the ramble! Edie