View Single Post
Old 08-26-2008, 10:31 AM
Roben

Originally Posted by eweandme
I'm new to quilting, so bare with me. I've been told "if you are going to spend the time making a quilt, you should only use the best fabric". On Monday I went to Jo Ann's and saw fat quarters selling for $1.99 and then I go to a quilting store and they are selling their's for $2.75. Is Jo Ann's fat quarters a cheaper fabric and are they worth spending the money or should I buy the more expensive ones at the quilt store? I could sure use some advise and opinions.
Donna
Donna, I had the same question when I started buying fabric. Here is an article that helped me understand things a bit better, and I hope it helps you as well: http://www.fabrics.net/cotqual.asp I've actually started to collect better fabrics, and have a good time trying to find them reasonably priced.

A far as some of the other comments on this thread, please take a moment and consider that if I made snide comments about shopping at Wal-Mart, I would be run out on the rails and rightfully so. Making snide comments about people who do shop at quilt stores is no better, just reverse snobbery. To look down on either defeats the purpose of the board (IMHO.) Keeping track of my fabric information is so that I can help someone who wants to get some, not so I can "list designers and collections by name in mixed quilt company." I'd like to think I'm still a quilter. I'll happily tell anyone on the board who asks where I got a fabric and what I paid for it - hopefully I can share a bargain I found, not just because I like telling them the price. I happen to have 3 antique quilts that I would give anything to have a label on them so I could know more about the quilts and who made them - if that's a monument, then I can only hope that my great-grandchildren (should I ever have any) appreciate it.

As you can see, there are usually more than one way to look at something, and I hope we can all be more tolerant than exclusionary. I got a wonderful present last weekend, but the tone of these comments kept me from sharing it on the board. Maybe I'm not the only one?