View Single Post
Old 09-30-2010, 07:21 PM
cjr

Barbbrad,
I have to add my 2 cents worth here. I remember my mother making feather pillows and "quilts". Lots of good suggestions here, web site ok but did not say this is at least a 2 person job.
Before doing anything all feathers were washed in soapy water, then dried, (she air dried them, away from any movement of any kind) Probably could be washed and dried in drier if put in tied pillowcase. Her preferance was the down of geese and ducks, usually found on the breast portion of the birds. She never used larger feathers as they came off the bird. They were stripped, pulled off of the spine.. It was my job to hold the case open as she put the feathers in. Very time consuming projects.
I still use the pillows she made 3/4 of a century ago. My pillows are over 65 yrs old. They have had new outer cover put on. Every time I change sheets the pillows get aired out side, fluffed a couple of times during airing.
Fabric for quilt or pillow was very heavy fasbric called feather ticking, don't know if it is still available or not.
Good luck. End product definitely worth it if you have the time and patience to do this.
Keep us posted.