View Single Post
Old 10-01-2010, 04:17 AM
fireworkslover

I have only done star designs, so have used strips that were cut 1/2" wider than the widest portion of the shape. You cut it off the strip after it's sewn and pressed. I've made New York Beauty and others that didn't have names, but are variations of that and one that was a variation of the pineapple block. I learned from a book by Valori Wells, "Radiant New York Beauties". She gives good instructions and gives you ideas for the quilting too. If I'm drawing my own patterns, I use tracing paper. It tears off easier than reg. paper I put thru my printer, and use a thin Sharpie marker. I would think it would work in your printer too though. I make Art Quilts, so have gotten some very narrow tiny points. On a couple smaller star blocks, I used only a 1/8" seam allowance, since the pieces were so small, like doing a miniature quilt. There is absolutely no way I would ever attempt these patterns without them being pp.

I have a topic on here titled "Fireworks quilt blocks pieced". That whole quilt was pp, except for the 2 smallest star circles which were fused. Too many pieces and too small to sew - 216 in a 6" & 7.5" diameter circle.