View Single Post
Old 10-01-2010, 12:31 PM
All Thumbs

Someplace in a basement box lies ten years of 4-H records and photos of not only my sewing projects but also my conservation, rabbits and dairy foods projects. I just cannot throw away those ribbons, pins and trophies especially since I believe the entire success of my life today stems from the confidence and leadership I gained from 4-H. While I also took Home Ec in high school and participated in Make It With Wool too, traveling with the 4-H club to State Fair and State Conferences gave this gal an opportunity to think outside of my county. Let me see here--the Pledge: I pledge my Head to clearer thinking; my Heart to greater loyalty; my Hands to larger service and my Health to better living for my club, my community and my country.

Now here is a twist for you.....recently I was asked to speak before a 4-H group. During the pledge, I quickly learned how life has gotten so much bigger than the 1950s and 60s. The 4-H pledge now ends with the following:

...for my club, my community, my country, and my world.
A thank you is extended to all my Leaders and County Agents! May they all rest in peace because their job was well done.