View Single Post
Old 10-01-2010, 01:01 PM
pam1966

Originally Posted by bakermom
Originally Posted by quilter41
Well I have to disagree with those of you who like the Chain Stores. If you lived in a small town and saw all your friends and neighbors lose their businesses because of Walmart, Joann's, Hobby Lobby, Hancocks, etc. you would understand why I say patronize your LQS. Walmart has ruined our downtown area and that is why I refuse to go there. One after another have closed because of all the Chain Stores plus it has brought lots of riff raff to our town from areas where they aren't located.
this is what "everyone" claimed would happen to our small town when superwm came in 5 years ago. Hasn't happened. I work at a small family owned business that ''everyone' was sure would be ruined. NOT! Infact we are doing better than ever. Some small business owners don't provide good customer service and act like they are doing you a favor by waiting on you. That's why they lose business.
I couldn't agree more. A couple years ago I was in search of a shiny aluminum pan to bake bread in. None of the major retailers around carried one, they were all dark pans. So I went to a local little store that specializes in things like that. First of all she ignored me while I went round and round in the store....I was the ONLY customer there. Then after I asked for what I was looking for she acted as though I was a big pain...that what I was asking for was unreasonable...gave me dirty looks. So I ended up ordering them online. I will never EVER go back there. She was the owner, too!