View Single Post
Old 10-02-2010, 04:05 AM
quilter on the eastern edge

I have just joined a local guild, after 3 years on the waiting list (the membership cap is 55). Dues are $45.00 a year. We meet on the 1st Tuesday of the month and the meeting has a business segment, a demonstration/workshop segment, show-and-tell, and refreshments. This past weekend there was a workshop with a teacher brought in from BC cooperatively by the 3 guilds in our area. There are workdays 2 Fridays a month when members can go and work on projects, etc.. in a social setting.

We have a year-long project...... we are creating our own squares according to the directions given each month. We choose our own theme and each month we are given a different technique and have to produce a square using our theme and the technique given. Last month the technique was a hand-cut, hand-stitched square - no rotary cutters, no machines. My theme is "Hens and Chickens and Roosters, Oh My! - it came to me out of nowhere - so I am doing a "Hens and Chicks" square. We will each put all of our squares in a journal as a summer project for display at the September meeting next year.

I am enjoying the guild so far - it was worth the wait. I knew many of the ladies in the guild already through other organizations, church, school, etc., so it was an easy transition for me.