View Single Post
Old 10-02-2010, 05:05 AM
gollytwo
Banned

I belong to 3 guilds
one is a statewide and meets twice a year. I rarely go but like to support it.

2nd is in my town (Cheshire Quilt Guild), dues $20, great e-mailed monthly newsletter, talented people, meets monthly all year round in the evening. Terrific show and tell. semi-annual show. Probably 75 or so members, some people sew, most don't as the seating is in rows of chairs.
Does lots for charity; has an all day monthly Saturday meeting where members bring their machines sew for charity or work on their own. There are many weekly small group home meetings to which you have to be invited.

3rd (SooNipi Quilt Guild) is about 35 miles away and is a monthly daytime meeting.
$20 dues, year round, semi-annual show, also c.75 members.
We're seated at tables so many, sometimes most, women work on sewing or knitting projects.
Also has small weekly groups and one half-day monthly mtg open to all.
Great show and tell, very talented members. Annual all day charity sew-in, next one making D9Ps for women's shelter moms and kids. E-mailed newsletter every other month.

Both groups have programs at each meeting; some interesting, some not.
Both begin meetings with "guild business" which can be interminable.
Both periodically have a BOM going.
Both guilds have libraries, SooNipi's has more recent publications.
Both offer workshops with well-known (at least in NE) teachers for which member pay separately, usually held on Saturdays at near-by large spaces; typically costs $25-$50 for the day.

In addition, I belong to 2 small groups that used to meet in homes, now meet at local libraries. Open to all.

I like belonging to quilt groups. I have friends in them, many that I otherwise don't see and find show and tells motivational.