View Single Post
Old 10-02-2010, 05:25 AM
dgmoby

Originally Posted by candlequilter
Originally Posted by dgmoby
Originally Posted by Quiltforme
I think I may have to buy some bobbin genies she seems to like them! I still am not sure what the purpose of the towa is.
The Towa allows you find a number associated with 'perfect tension' on your particular machine. Once you have it, you can easily and quickly adjust every single new bobbin to that same number, pop it in and go. Easy peasy :) No playing around or wondering if the tension is the issue or playing righty-tighty, lefty-loosey games. Just pull the thread, read the number, turn the screw to adjust to your correct number, and pop it in and quilt. Perfect every time, regardless of thread, thread weight, thread content, fabric, etc.

I love mine.
Debbie in Austin
How do you know what the "perfect tension" is for your particular machine?
Thanks,
Sherryl
You can start with a number or two that works for others with your type of machine. Then keep adjusting until you get good tension. When that happens, put it in the Towa and record the number and thread type. I keep a list on my wall because I have a brain tumor thus a terrible memory. Then with all new bobbins, I shoot for that number.

I have found, that with some specific thread combinations, top and bobbin, when I hit that number the tension is still just a tad off, so I'll adjust the bobbin, test again, and when it gets perfect, I record that new number below the first one, along with the top and bobbin thread info (brand & weight) and the batting info. This way, the next time I work with this combo, I know right off the bat that the 'adjusted' number works better for it than my original number. This simply happens once in awhile for specific combos, but even so, you're already starting almost right on the money and it only requires a tad of a tweak to get it perfect.

Hope this helps - but if you have any other questions, please don't hesitate to ask.
Debbie in Austin