Thread: Binding width
View Single Post
Old 07-16-2007, 05:49 PM
Flying_V_Goddess

Originally Posted by zyxquilts
What size did you cut the first binding?
Just off the top of my head, I think the fabric strips were 1.25" before they were folded into binding.

Originally Posted by ShellyQ
Hi Flying_V_Goddess
How wide do you want your finished binding to be? I use double fold straight cut binding, so my rule of thumb is multiply finished width of binding by 6 plus 1/4" for easement. I've never worked with denim though :) so some of these other ladies will probably be able to give you better advise. Cheers, have been following your battle with the denim quilt and have been cheering from the sidelines, so would really love to see a pic when you win :)
What exactly is straight cut binding?

I want the binding to be the same width as my seam allowance...which is 5/16" (1/16" shy of being 1/4"). So according to your formula and if I'm doing my math right I'd have to cut strips that are... 2 1/8"?

Originally Posted by ceannastahr
maybe instead of attaching the binding in the usual way, because of thickness why not just lay it on fold to other side and use a blanket stich or zigzag it on. Or any other fancy stitch
I really don't want to use the zig zag stitch...just a matter of preference and how much thread it will take to cover 280 inches of raw edges.