View Single Post
Old 10-02-2010, 11:57 AM
AliceQ

Originally Posted by quilter41
Well I have to disagree with those of you who like the Chain Stores. If you lived in a small town and saw all your friends and neighbors lose their businesses because of Walmart, Joann's, Hobby Lobby, Hancocks, etc. you would understand why I say patronize your LQS. Walmart has ruined our downtown area and that is why I refuse to go there. One after another have closed because of all the Chain Stores plus it has brought lots of riff raff to our town from areas where they aren't located.
I agree wholeheartedly with this sentiment. Sadly, I've seen it happen in this area,too. I hate giving WM any of my money, BUT when folks can find the products they need for so much less (allowing them to keep the bills paid at the end of the month) what do you expect them to do? If I had to shop only in the independent stores (whatever it may be) I would have to just stay at home. As far as fabric goes, if I had to shop at a LQS that just opened nearby, I would be putting my sewing machine away. I can't afford $80 to $100 for fabric for a grandchild's quilt. My grands deserve it, but I can't afford it.
I really don't believe customer service is a big part of why a shop closes. Good service, of course, is wonderful and worth paying for, to a point. Face it, I think for most of us, it just comes down to money.