Old 10-03-2010, 07:46 AM
dgmoby

Originally Posted by BonniFeltz
there are so many different ways to do appliqué (and quilting) that I think you just have to find the way that works best for you. If you don't use a hoop, it doesn't make it wrong.

Sometimes I use a hoop for embroidery and sometimes not. It all depends on the pattern, material, and to tell the truth - my mood. :)

Keep trying. THAT is the main thing.
I agree with this! I am going through all the various types of preparation and appliqué methods and am learning them all. Then I'll choose my favorite(s). One thing I did learn from some very experienced Baltimore Album Blue Ribbon winners is that you often will use multiple preparation/appliqué methods in single block - depending upon which technique works best for that particular applique piece. That's something else to keep in mind - and a really good reason to try them all...at least once, to me.

Right now, I'm learning to use prepared sheets that you copy the pattern onto using a copy machine/printer. Then cut out the individual pieces, iron onto the back of the fabric, and cut it out. You can glue or pin baste the piece onto the background fabric (testing Roxanne's Glue Baste). I'm also pinching the edges of some pieces which I've read will make it easier to applique, and not others, for the sake of testing. So far, I really like using the sheets, even if more expensive, as the preparation part is very quick.

Debbie in Austin