View Single Post
Old 10-04-2010, 03:39 AM
Barbara W

I don't belong to any guilds but do go to two local "drop in" type groups. One meets the first Monday of the month at the library. This group is open to all quilters. The other group meets every Friday morning and is only open to quilters 55 and older. It meets in the Senior Center. Both groups are free and each has made a queen size quilt for the "host" to auction to raise money for their respective endeavors. (The library quilt was just raffled last month and raised over $2300. We were all quite proud of that accomplishment.) I have tried "organized" groups and found I do not care for them - I fit in better when things are more relaxed and fewer "rules/laws" have to be followed.

I agree with the other repliers, just take a deep breath and follow your instincts. I was always afraid to do anything alone - ie: go to the movies, a museum, the theater, shopping (except grocery), etc. At the age of 55 I finally decided that if I wanted to do any of these things I had to go alone or remain a dull scaredycat. Now, at age 64, I do what I want and am much happier. AND there was really no reason for me to be scared: there are more friendly, helpful people in the world than one would believe.
Barbara W