View Single Post
Old 10-04-2010, 01:38 PM
sharon b
Power Poster

Originally Posted by dasmith2
Hope you all dont mind- I just had a few questions. Im sure you all remember how overwhelming it can be when you first start out and dont know a thing :-)

1. Why do you make your own binding? Is it just more customized? Cant you just buy the stuff that I see in the store?

If you make your own it will match the quilt better as opposed to having to make do with what the stores have

2. What are blender fabrics?

My understanding of blenders are they are fabrics that are not a solid- but not a pattern- does that make sense ?

3. What ruler/cutting mat size do you all recommend(real limited budget,so I know the big sizes are out of the question ).

I use a 24x 24 mat and a size 45 cutter. I find that is a good size for my hand

4. Does it matter what size your rotary cutter is? I have one, but have no idea what size it is- i forgot LOL

Size 45 cutter - fits my hand nicely.

5. Any helpful beginner tips or timesavers? Anything you found out the hard way?

Too many to list , can't pick just one

6.With all the fabrics,batting,threads, tools etc... seems like its not a inexpensive hobby to start. Any tips to share on how you keep the cost down to a reasonable amount? (if I start shopping for fabric like I do scrapbook paper~I KNOW i'm in trouble :mrgreen:

Shop sales and use coupons as much as possible !

Thanks everyone for your help!