View Single Post
Old 10-04-2010, 05:41 PM
BKrenning

Originally Posted by dasmith2
Hope you all dont mind- I just had a few questions. Im sure you all remember how overwhelming it can be when you first start out and dont know a thing :-)

1. Why do you make your own binding? Is it just more customized? Cant you just buy the stuff that I see in the store?

Double thickness lasts longer, match colors or contrast colors in your quilt, thin or narrow--it's up to you, much cheaper than buying the stuff in the store if you're using up scraps to make it.

2. What are blender fabrics?

Blenders are tonal fabrics that "read" as a solid. They create movement and/or interest to a quilt without distracting from the pattern. Kind of like sponge painting a wall.

3. What ruler/cutting mat size do you all recommend(real limited budget,so I know the big sizes are out of the question ).

For a cutting mat--I strongly suggest the 36 x 24" size. It is perfect for cutting width of fabric and measuring yardage. You're going to need at least 2 rulers to start. I would choose a 6.5 x 24" and a 12.5 or 15" square to start. Take a known good ruler or tape measure with you to check them for size before you buy.

4. Does it matter what size your rotary cutter is? I have one, but have no idea what size it is- i forgot LOL.

For a rotary cutter--45mm is the most popular and easiest to control. The 60mm is useful for cutting 4+ layers at a time and for flannel & fleece.

5. Any helpful beginner tips or timesavers? Anything you found out the hard way?

Always pre-wash flannel--it shrinks a lot. Use starch liberally especially on fabric that you plan to cut into triangles. If it isn't fun--you're doing something wrong!

6.With all the fabrics,batting,threads, tools etc... seems like its not a inexpensive hobby to start. Any tips to share on how you keep the cost down to a reasonable amount? (if I start shopping for fabric like I do scrapbook paper~I KNOW i'm in trouble :mrgreen:

Definitely shop the sales and use coupons. Also check out rummage sales that have "craft items", check freecycle, haunt your local thrift shops for cotton clothing & bedding that you can re-purpose. Don't skimp on thread. The cheap crap is useless and is way more aggravation than it's worth but you can still get decent thread at Joann's, Hancock Fabrics, Connecting Threads, etc. Feel free to use cotton, poly/cotton, poly, rayon, whatever as long as your sewing machine & needles will work with it and it's good and strong.

Thanks everyone for your help!