View Single Post
Old 10-04-2010, 09:20 PM
MadQuilter
Power Poster

Originally Posted by dasmith2
1. Why do you make your own binding? Is it just more customized? Cant you just buy the stuff that I see in the store?
Oh - do you mean that shiny gynormous band? Sorry - don't like it because it's not a "blanket" that I'm sewing. The binding is the ribbon and the bow to any quilt I finish. When I make my own binding, I can use fabric to match or complement the project AND I can make it the size I want.

2. What are blender fabrics??
They are neutral tone-on tone fabrics that come in many colors and help you transition within a quilt. They are not necessary but they can come in handy.

3. What ruler/cutting mat size do you all recommend(real limited budget,so I know the big sizes are out of the question ).
I have the medium-sized mat 18"x24". Personally, I find the large one too large and the small one insufficient. Often I fold my fabric twice and this mat is large enough and when I want to cut the fabric using a single fold, the mat is large enough.
4. Does it matter what size your rotary cutter is? I have one, but have no idea what size it is- i forgot LOL
The 45 mm (medium size) is the best size for me. I have it and with a new blade, I can cut through UP TO 8 layers. Generally, I only cut about 4 layers. The larger cutter seems overkill to me and the blades are too expensive. I also have the little one (28 mm) and use it to cut between templates. I don't think it is strong enough to cut larger pieces. If anything - get one that is ergonomic.
5. Any helpful beginner tips or timesavers? Anything you found out the hard way?
Unfortunately, yes: The key to successful work is not necessary in time-saving methods. I spend more time in the prep-work (accurate measure, accurate cutting, accurate sewing with a consistent 1/4" seam allowance, and careful pressing) than anything. If I don't I'll pay for it later.

6.With all the fabrics,batting,threads, tools etc... seems like its not a inexpensive hobby to start. Any tips to share on how you keep the cost down to a reasonable amount? (if I start shopping for fabric like I do scrapbook paper~I KNOW i'm in trouble :mrgreen:
If you plan to make a masterpiece, then you will want to get the high-priced good-quality supplies. I believe in supporting my LQS (and I love to visit there regularly) BUT there is nothing saying that I can't buy supplies online, at a Joann or WalMart, or even at a yard sale. The key is to get a feel for what is "good" quality. Even an online shopping at a reputable store with free shipping is a saving. Some people manage to buy ONLY for the project they are working on. I wish I were that disciplined.