Old 10-05-2010, 02:46 AM
AlwaysJustBeth

Originally Posted by BoJangles
Originally Posted by vintagemotif
Nancy,
After reading over the post this past week on the history on the 9Ws, I have decided to do what you have suggested and I will be cleaning her up. Thanks for sharing your information on the history that you found. I enjoy reading the history also.

For your record that you are keeping on the 9Ws, my serial number is W22105. That dates it at beginning 1911 and records are lost according to the Singer site. I think mine may be the Singer 9W7
I would be willing to bet that your 9W is sometime between 1905 and 1910. Singer bought out Wheeler & Wilson in 1905, some history books say 1904, anyway Singer used those parts until they were gone. Singer then made the exact machine, but the parts were not left over (supposedly) from the original Wheeler & Wilson stuff, to the Wheeler and Wilson specs and used serial numbers without letters, which is wierd because after 1900 all Singer machines had a serial number that began with a letter.

I sent a letter to Singer asking them why they did this and got back the answer that Singer didn't keep track of any machine that was not their design or did not have Singer printed on the machine. I am sending them a second letter that the 9W does say 'Singer' across the machine so again why is there no records? I don't think they know why. I could see the records lost, but what I don't understand is why there is not even a mention of the Singer 9w anywhere on their site -- that machine was so different from all the Singer machines?

Nancy
Thanks for all of your investigating Nancy! I enjoy the history also. Beth