View Single Post
Old 10-05-2010, 04:26 AM
moonrise

1. Why do you make your own binding? Is it just more customized? Cant you just buy the stuff that I see in the store?

I make my own because when I buy 108" wide backing, there's usually plenty leftover for binding. It matches perfectly, and there's no sense in wasting it! :-)

2. What are blender fabrics?

Fabric that looks like it's been "sponged" to create a mottled effect. I personally don't like solid colors (boooooring), but I love blenders!

3. What ruler/cutting mat size do you all recommend(real limited budget,so I know the big sizes are out of the question ).

If I had to narrow mine down to bare minimum, I'd keep my 24"x18" Olfa cutting mat, my 24"x6" ruler, and my 6-1/2" square ruler. And I'd really like to keep my 12-1/2" square ruler as well, but I could make do without it if I HAD to.

4. Does it matter what size your rotary cutter is? I have one, but have no idea what size it is- i forgot LOL

I've only used a 45mm, and it serves my purposes just fine.

5. Any helpful beginner tips or timesavers? Anything you found out the hard way?

Practice, practice, practice, especially lining up those points.

6.With all the fabrics,batting,threads, tools etc... seems like its not a inexpensive hobby to start. Any tips to share on how you keep the cost down to a reasonable amount? (if I start shopping for fabric like I do scrapbook paper~I KNOW i'm in trouble :mrgreen:

Shop sales, and look for coupon codes when ordering online. Some online stores give you free shipping if you order a certain amount, and that helps as well. :)