View Single Post
Old 10-05-2010, 09:27 AM
great aunt jacqui

when i had the big house everyone came there for christmas eve, we have chinese food. everyone brings snacks or dessert. Now it is at my neices, and we are the travelers. One great thing we do is play"pink Elephant" Each person brings 3 things they have no use for and each is wrapped in newspaper. they are put in a big pile on the floor. Dice are shaken and if you get a 7 or 11 they get to choose a gift. We have so many laughs
when it is opened it could be a can ofsoup, pencils,leftover xmas paper, toilet plunger stuffed animal.anythin that is still good....to someone else. Each person puts a 1$ in a box and a golden screw is somewhere hidden in the pile of gifts. the one who gets it gets all of the $. for us it is usually 18/20$. boy are the kids happy when they win. Winner will keep the screw and disguise it for next year.
We have been playing for over 27 years and look forward to it every year.
We also do yankee swap with a $25 gift per family. for the kids 15 and under they have a $5 swap. we all chip in for food and everyone takes home the leftovers. the teens remove all the rubbish and clean up as best they can.
Then each family can celebrate christmas day together.
My older sister has thanksgiving and Easter. we are the only ones not nearby so again we travel.. I always make a ham, green bean casserole and extra large cupcakes beautifully decorated for both holidays. Try to take pics of all the kids in the same pose every year.
Easter isa