View Single Post
Old 10-05-2010, 06:11 PM
Ramona Byrd

I had and still have an overgrowth of Candida Albicans. My previous doctor said that she, also, had this and had been diagnosed years before as a chronic complainer, etc, when she knew as a doctor that there was something wrong with her. She finally discovered the yeast problem, and used on me what worked for her, Nystatin. This is the only one she prescribed for me and it worked. Since she married and left the state 10 or so years ago, none of my male doctors believe that I have this since the tests come back mildly positive. And I still sound like I smoked 5 packs of cigarettes a day. At my worst, I sound like Gravel Gertie. Haven't been to a doctor in a long time..but the new one I chose when the old one moved away might agree with me. I hope so. Nystatin is pretty safe I believe, at least for me.

I suspect that you'll find most doctors hate to order the tried and true old drugs, but if you are firm you won't have to be a guinea pig for new, expensive stuff just out.

Also, I was told to avoid processed foods, especially fermented ones, which unfortunately were my favorite foods. Hard cheese, pickles, sour kraut, buttermilk, (okay, this is from my German background) Kefir, yeast breads, vinegary salad dressings, mustards, beer, wine, etc. Most of what makes a meal come alive, that's what I have to avoid if I want to be able to speak on the phone. When I answer it and someone calls me "Sir" then I know it is time to try for some more Nystatin.