View Single Post
Old 08-30-2008, 12:36 PM
butterflywing

i had a brother 1500s (really a shortarm- 9" throat) on a new joy frame. the machine was incredible. the frame could have been heftier. it was a great quilter, BUT when the whole quilt was finished to the point where the roll was 3/4 behind the needle and under the arm, there was only about 6" maybe less of actual working field left. i was able to make two queen quilts but with a lot of difficulty. i ended up having to go in one direction, then take it off and go in the cross direction. when my kids saw me working that hard they bought me the tin lizzie (18") on the wood frame made by grace. the frame is great and solid as a rock. the machine is good, but also makes those long and skipped stitches. i can't figure out why. could it be the thread? they bought it at a show. over all, i would have to say i liked the brother better. it was smoother and quieter. but the lizzie has the stitch regulater and a good table for pantograms and lots of additional good features and notions and they give good tech support forever on the phone. if i had the room i would have kept the brother for wallhangings and small quilts. i sold it after one year for 1/2 what it cost me at a show. i believe the tin lizzie/grace table combo is in the neighborhood of $7000. i never asked.