Thread: garden salsas
View Single Post
Old 08-30-2008, 02:19 PM
retrogirl02

Hi all!
The garden has been doing very well this year and I'm pleased to report that I'll have green beans on Thanksgiving from our bountiful supply. We've eaten all the carrots and I'm collecting oodles of tomatoes now and a few peppers, too. A very generous friend also provided 2 CASES of tomatillos and I didn't want to waste any of it. I've been very busy making salsas and thought I'd share a couple of ideas.

Pico de Gallo
http://www.mex-recipes.com/pico-de-gallo-recipes.html
I don't like it hot, so I cut the membranes inside the jalepeno also. I put my water in the blender, add my cilantro, jalepeno, salt, pepper, and garlic and pulse. The last thing you want is a giant bite of cilantro and jalepeno....unless of course, you like some spice. :D It makes a very mild fresh salsa.

Salsa Verde
http://www.elise.com/recipes/archive...alsa_verde.php

I like mine chunky, so I don't blend everything. You can crock pot it over night or for the day on low and forget about it. I don't roast anything. If you like a little smokiness, add a bit of liquid smoke.

Spaghetti Sauce in the Crockpot....oh, I forgot to mention that I've spent the week doing this, too. LOL. I freeze the verde and spaghetti sauce in freezer bags. The day I use it, I thaw in the fridge or overnight the eve before and if the kids want meat in it, I cook up the meat and heat the sauce in the same pan.

4-6 large tomatoes (diced),
2 small cans tomato paste,
1 T minced garlic
1 small or half large white onion, chopped
1t oregano

This can be adjusted based on what you've got on hand but it's a great way to store your tomatoes for winter without the hassle of canning.

If you have jar sauce on hand and just want to add some chunky bites of veg, throw it in the crock pot and add your fresh veggies. You'll end up stretching the jar for about 3 meals for a family of 4-5. If you're single, the jar is such a waste. This is a great way to keep yours fresh by freezing in ready to eat portions!!

YUM! Enjoy the garden season.