View Single Post
Old 10-07-2010, 06:55 AM
Ripped on Scotch

1. Why do you make your own binding? Is it just more customized? Cant you just buy the stuff that I see in the store?
I like to make mine because I have the hardest time matching quilts that I have made with the pre-made stuff plus I don't want it to be shiny when the rest of the quilt isn't. I do have a roll from Joann's that is purple with a pattern on it that isn't shiny polyester stuff that I like but I normally make it for each quilt. it's really easy

2. What are blender fabrics?
material that isn't just a straight solid colour.

3. What ruler/cutting mat size do you all recommend(real limited budget,so I know the big sizes are out of the question ).
I mostly use the 24 x6 ruler and the 32 x 26 cutting mat. I also have a little one that I use to travel with it's 12 X 24. My best suggestion for you.... go to some where that sells scrapbooking supplies, they are the exact same mats, rulers and cutters but are some times alot cheaper. we have a surplus store here that had the big mats for 14.99... I now have 2 of them!

4. Does it matter what size your rotary cutter is? I have one, but have no idea what size it is- i forgot LOL
I have a 45mm and that is really all I use. Eventually you may need a little one for curved templates but that is really about it I find.

5. Any helpful beginner tips or timesavers? Anything you found out the hard way?
Get yourself a good 1/4 inch foot. I have one that is called a "little foot" it has 1/4 marked before and after the needle which is fantastic when you are doing bindings.

6.With all the fabrics,batting,threads, tools etc... seems like its not a inexpensive hobby to start. Any tips to share on how you keep the cost down to a reasonable amount? (if I start shopping for fabric like I do scrapbook paper~I KNOW i'm in trouble
Look at places that you wouldn't think has material.... chances are that they may have scrapbooking items and they are the same.
If you like something and its on sale go for it but remember that most patterns call for atleast a yard of fabric...there is nothing worse then starting a project and finding out you don't have enough and the material is next to impossible to find.