View Single Post
Old 12-15-2006, 01:45 PM
Randy

Hi Gr8ch4u:
Our quilt group helped make 1000 pull on hats out of fleece for our health dept. to give out to mom's who brought their babies in for their shots. These hats also went to Dr.'s offices so the babies and toddlers could have them when the doctor gave them their well baby shots. The hats were about 19 inch long by about 12 inches wide. Sew the short ends together, make a fold or cuff about 2 inches wide in the hat that will go around the face then pull the other side of the short end up and tie it off in a tassel or can cut the tails into floppy fringe. For the health dept. we had about 4 darts in the top of the the hats so the hats didn't have a tassel affair on top. They were very functional and cute. Best of all, easy and quick to make.

Our group also makes quilts for foster kids and the fleece does make wonderful, cuddly blankets. Some of the kids brought in are taken into care because their parents are running a meth lab in the house...the chemicals are so awful that they don't even take clothes out of the houses so the kids come into care with NOTHING! We had 3 that came in who were wearing nothing but diapers (2 kids) and I think one of the policemen took his t-shirt off for the other child to wear. Blankets, quilts, sweats, jammies are all needed. Contact your local Dept. Human Resources Welfare/Protective Services Division to see if they need any of these.

I make "hood-type" hats and muffler combination with 60 inch long, 12 inch wide fleece. Fold the fleece in half and right in the middle lengthwise, run a seam from the fold to the edge (short side or width) on ONLY HALF of the muffler. That seam makes the "hood" put it on your head and wrap the tail of the left side around your neck to the right side, the right side to the left side. This is a GREAT headcover for beach walking or walking in the wind and rain as the back of the muffler keeps the rain off your neck while the front top of the muffler (which is the hood part) covers your head.

I also have made LOTS of pairs of slippers with fleece and the white non-skid traction fabric for the soles. Great gifts, easy and fun to make. There is a pattern for these that I'll attache. I saved it from my old computer in Corel 8 Word Perfect. I hope you can open it.

Good luck...we're almost neighbors
Keep on Sewing, Quilting and creating!
Randy