Old 10-07-2010, 12:32 PM
Lady Shivesa

Originally Posted by catrancher

There's nothing wrong with doing everything on the list if it is gratifying to you; and, I would expect that in your life something to comes back the other way too. I also expect that this is a lifestyle choice you've made, not a mandate. The list here implies that the only thing the woman should expect from life is the gratification she gets from serving her husband. Further, children are not "treasures," they are people. They have their own needs, and not just from their mother, but from their father too.

It's not realistic or even healthy then or now to expect women to be completely self-sacraficing with nothing coming back in return. And I don't care how gratifying it might be, no one can give from an empty cup year after year after year.
I can understand that. Really marriage seems to me to be about give and take - equally. DH goes to a job he hates because he loves me and wants to support me. I do the chores I hate, because I love him and want to make him comfortable when he comes home. I imagine living this way of life would be much harder if my DH wasn't so wonderful and sweet - I know there are some men out there that aren't so and would demand the things on this list. My DH just isn't one of them. :)

I was mostly raised this way, but it still is a choice, everything is a choice. At one point in my life I rebelled against the idea of this lifestyle - but after a time, and after I met DH, everything just fell into place and it works for me.

With that said, I understand it doesn't work for all women. That's their choice and I happily leave it to them.