Old 10-07-2010, 05:57 PM
fishnlady

Originally Posted by littleone
Originally Posted by postal packin' mama
Question: regarding white vinegar -- It's the mineral ring around the waterline in the toilets that drives me crazy. No amount of scrubbing fazes it. I've tried every product I know of BUT haven't tried white vinegar as suggested here.
Would I just pour some into the water? and let it 'soak'?
Any suggestions would be welcomed. Thanks in advance.
I know what your talking about, had an old house here in Edmonton and tried everything to get the mineral build up off. Vinegar didn't work. Had a swimming pool in this house and every year drained and scrubbed it down with muriatic acid. It removed all stains from the wall and floor of pool. This acid is also used for cleaning off newly installed ceramic tiles.
I would put about 1/4 to 1/2 cup in the toiled let sit for 20 min and presto buildup gone. Just remember very toxic, use gloves!! stand back from toilet so you don't get any fumes, if you have a window in your bathroom open it, mine didn't and had no problem. You can get the acid at most home hardware stores. Hope this heps and good luck. Dar
I did this very thing to my Grandpa's toilet. It had so much build up in it there was no removing it without chiping away at it. I used Muriatic acid and it made it look like a new toilet. I drained all the water out of it then used paper towels to dry up all the moisture then poured the acid in. Boy did it boil. I had the window open above it so all was well but you have to be really careful with that stuff.