View Single Post
Old 10-07-2010, 08:54 PM
Gerbie

Originally Posted by amma
Yes, stretchy or thin fabrics can be used, just find iron on stabilizer to put on the backs of them. What fun memory quilts they make :D:D:D

Jeans, cotton shirts, etc... all work well too. Thriftstores and garage sales are a great source of fabric :wink: My family/friends are saving their jeans for me :D:D:D
If you are going to make a quilt with denim, please be aware that the stretchy denim presents a problem when mixed with non stretch denim. Ask me how I know. I made my son a denim quilt using the pineapple pattern a few years ago and tried mixing the denim, only to find out that my blocks with the stretch denim were larger than the others and I had to rip all of those pieces out and stick with non stretchy denim, because most of my blocks were made with non stretch denim. Lee's and Wranglers brands worked best for me. I love the pockets on the Levis, but sometimes that denim was too stiff to work well the the others. Just a hint, that might help when you're doing your thing with denim..