View Single Post
Old 10-07-2010, 08:56 PM
madamekelly

Originally Posted by bearisgray
I rode with DH for about a year in his "big truck" -

After that, I realized that there are some things that "four-wheelers" should know.

1) If you can't see the driver's mirrors, he/she can't see you.

2) If you are right beside the unit (tractor and trailer), the driver can't see you. (Even if you can see the mirrors) You are below where the driver can see you.

3) Don't tailgate. A tire can blow and end up in your face. Or the driver might need to make a sudden stop. And you might end up under the back of the trailer - and you might end up decapitated.

4) Most truck drivers do not want to be involved in accidents. It's extremely inconvenient to have one.

5) They need to make wide swings when they turn corners so the trailer goes where it's supposed to.

6) Don't try to sneak by on the right side of a truck when it's trying to make a right hand turn. It's near the middle lane so that when it turns the trailer won't be on the sidewalk.

7) If a truck cuts you off (pulls into the left-hand passing lane) when climbing a hill, it's because he/she is reasonably sure that he can overtake the other trucks in front of him/her. It is easier for a car to maintain or recover speed than it is for a truck to recover. You might think the driver is #1, but that's why.

8) Do not park in front of a run-away spot. There are very few places that a run-away truck can get off the road. And they are hard to spot.

9) Avoid being where a driver is unsure of your intentions. If he/she needs to pass or take evasive action, don't need to worry about someone being in the left-hand lane right on one's tail.

10) If necessary, some of the rigs can travel quite fast. It's more economical to run them at a steady speed in certain RPM ranges. (Depends on the tractor, engine, transmission, etc. etc.)

11) Some loads have to stop for railroad crossings, etc.

12) Strong side winds can whip an empty trailer around.

13) If/When possible, don't crowd a truck.
My BIL, a trucker for 27+ years told me that if I can not see the drivers face in the mirror, he can not see me. Our state is cracking down HARD on tailgaters, so maybe I have to change that to "if I can't see his head shape, he can't see me'.