Old 10-08-2010, 01:33 AM
ckcowl
Power Poster

check the tutorials there is a tutorial on ladder stitching your bindings, does not really make a difference if you hand stitch the back or the front i've made objects that i machine stitched to the back and others the machine stitching on the top...both ways comes out just fine. key is little stitches, come in under the folded fabric catching just the very edge of the fold. stitch into the (quilt) directly even with the stitch in the fold, move the needle over just a little inside your sandwich come back out in the fold, repeat. it will come out fine. use a thread color that either matches or is just a shade darker and the stitches will be invisible.
i have been quilting quite awhile now and have never managed to have a binding come out looking ok when i tried to machine stitch both sides....for me it always looks so sloppy and ruins all the hard work i put into the quilt. i know some people manage to do it beautifully but boy...i cant figure it out...always have to do the hand stitching part. but thats ok, for me it is a nice end of the project step.