Old 10-08-2010, 04:11 AM
ArtisticDesign

I need guidance. I have a few ( ok, a lot..lol) of questions on some projects I am trying to get done as christmas gifts and I THANK any of you more experienced quilters for any help...

Project One: I am am making a really special friend a throw quilt..I have spent a lot of time picking fabrics etc.. I do know that she gets cold easily..And loves "cuddely soft" blankets..
My question is about batting and backing. My first quilt that I just finished making is rather stiff and not to cuddly/soft feeling even after washing...I had used a poly 20%/cotton blend, med loft batting..I used reg fabric ( that felt soft in the store) as my backing... It also does not keep me very warm.
I have heard a lot about a brand I think is called "warm and natural" 100% cotton. I do know cotton breathes = keeps you warm when its cold yet cool when it's warm?.. I have also heard some bad things about using 100% cotton batting (separating etc..) However, this brand seems to keep popping up...*Your thoughts?
As for the soft cuddly feel. Anyone have suggestions on this?.. My first thought was to use flannel or fleece as backing..However, the quilt will not be bold/bright in color..The fabrics have a more elegant feel to them..I don't want to ruin that effect..But, would if I had to choose soft over pretty lol
*And what is the difference between flannel vrs fleece?..Does one pick up lint worse than the other. etc?
*I've also thought about using an Egyptian cotton sheet for the backing..Has anyone done this?
Project Two: A Wall Hanging for my son..*** Do you need to use batting for a wall hanging?..
*I will also be using 2" fusible grid as my design wall...If a yard of the fusible grid is not large enough...How do you connect more yrdge to make it larger without ruining the grid pattern? Sewing, ironing?
Project Three: Thankfully, will be easy..Hubby just wants a camo quilt ( he camps a lot = thinks hes rambo lol) He wants only one pattern/fabric on the front(cotton camo design)- the back( solid colored flannel). I was like, why not just buy a camo blanket? lol..But, I think he just wants something I make..However, he does love snoopy so I bought a snoopy applique to sneak into a corner lol.
*I am having a hard time finding the old army camo design( new one looks digital) in cotton or flannel..I did find five yrds (cotton) on ebay for 8$/yrd ( good price?)..*Anyone have a good resource for this? My joanns only had two designs, one the green was lime instead of army green.The other was cartoonish looking, ugh.
Thanks for any help guys! (smile)