View Single Post
Old 10-08-2010, 05:03 AM
grann of 6

Originally Posted by moonangel12
We have some close friends that have been trying a VERY long time to have a baby with no luck... we just found out that she's about 8 weeks along!!! I am sooooooo excited for her and want to make her a special baby quilt, but am not sure what to do. I don't have a huge amount of experience so it can't be anything really complicated, but I want it to show that it's something special for a special baby, know what I mean? I was thinking maybe a 3D pinwheel?? Add some satin binding, or maybe some prarie points for a little texture. They don't know yet what they are having, and won't for almost 3 months.... I don't know if I can wait that long! Ha ha! "Gender neutral" never really seems gender neutral, it always feels more appropriate for a boy so if it's a girl I definitely want to focus on girl colors/patterns. Any thoughts and ideas would be much appreciated!
How exciting! Nowadays people are going less to the pink and blue, so if you choose teal, aqua type colors and peachy tans, it can go either way. I like to make flannel for the babies. If you go with flannel, make 3/8" seams and prewash the fabric. As far as design, start looking at fabric and let it choose the design for you. Also brights work well for babies, primary colors will go for either gender. Circus themes, jungle, etc.