Old 10-08-2010, 08:57 AM
karenm36

I've made only one quilt and it was fairly easy. So to help me in my learning process I joined our community quilt club this past Wed. I found out that every month they assign a quilt block for everyone to make to bring to the next month's meeting. Someone puts all the blocks together, makes the quilt and then we give them away to those in need. So cool! BUT...I then went home with a piece of cream fabric and was told the theme for the next month was "juvenile sports". No pattern...just make anything as long as it's 9 and 1/2 inches square when finished. Wow, where to start?!

So here's my first attempt at designing my own block and piecing it together...and I'm soooo frustrated!! No matter how much I measure and how slowly I sew the fabric still gets skewed a bit. Finally got it 9 and 1/2 wide but the height is lacking by 1/8 of an inch or so ... so I'll be ripping out a seam and doing it over again. I don't mind that but if anyone has any tips for keeping things really straight and matching up the seams better and all I sure would like to hear it!

Thanks!! Karen
Attached Thumbnails attachment-112473.jpe