View Single Post
Old 10-10-2010, 04:08 AM
june6995

Since my quilts go to charities, and I make a lot of them, I need all the fast and easy methods I can find.

I sew my binding to the back, with the back side UP and then turn it over. Just like the video. Then I pin the 4 corners and stitch on top using thread that matches when possible. I can bind a quilt in about an hour. I use my walking foot. It helps keep the layers smooth.

Previously I tried to sew the binding to the back by putting it underneath the 3 layers of quilt, with the TOP facing UP. For some reason the top of the quilt would creep and when I got to the corners, no matter how carefully I had trimmed the layers, I would have a shortage on the corners. Once I changed my method, I have not had a problem with creeping fabric.

I have made and delivered 33 quilts so far this year, and every one is bound this way. I cannot handle a hand sewing, so my quilts must be machine stitched. If the Quilt Police are looking, they would have to give me a lot of tickets for violating the rules, but as you know, Rules are made by the quilter and sometimes are created as we go along.

Happy Quilting.
June in Cincinnati