View Single Post
Old 10-10-2010, 11:43 AM
Jan in VA

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Originally Posted by Aully
This sounds like Quilts Of Valour - United States. I do this for Canada soilders. :)
Aully,

Actually, though I do belong to a group called Patriot Quilters, (NOT associated with QOV), and we do make quilts for returning wounded service personnel mostly in Virginia, the project you are reading about here is a grass roots effort spearheaded by one mom. With enormous help from this board's caring quilters and many local guild members as well, we are outreaching ONE group of 128 men at ONE desolate Forward Operating Base in western Afghanistan, while they are still IN Afghanistan.

The projected finish date of this Military Barracks Quilt Project is hopefully mid-December, not a continuous effort, IF we give all 128 men a hug from home.

I clarify the difference because Quilts of Valor and other groups like American Hero Quilts are huge national organizations with lots of corporate sponsorship and financial assistance and long-arm quilters all over the country helping with their projects, and they've been doing this for years.

We on the other hand, are a tiny group of one pair of legs on the ground in Virginia, receiving the handiwork of quilters from this board, documenting everything, gathering backings/battings, raising finances, and shipping the quilts one multi-quilt box at a time through the US Post Office, from my home.

While I admire what QOV, etc. does, I also want the special quilters here, who have given so freely of their time, resources and prayers for my SIL battery in Farah, to receive all the worthy acknowledgement they so deserve. My hat is off to them down to the very last one! They are remarkable!

Best of success and blessing with your QOV project on Canada as well. :)

Jan in VA