Old 10-10-2010, 02:44 PM
omak

OH!
I wish I lived closer to you! I would join you and help!
I started a sewing group at the local nursing home. Mostly, what I did was sit and sew and they just sat and watched me.
Thankfully, I have the gift of gab, and we just chatted and learned how to all get along.
Interesting thing! When Katrina hit, the residents were really upset about those folks down there needing help, and they wanted to do something.
About the time they were wanting to do something, I had listened to the radio and someone was going down with daily needs items.
Long story short! We made up 25 totes, joined with the American Legion Auxiliary to get daily needs items gathered, found a veterans home in Mississippi that needed some help ... and, spent most of one day, stuffing bags with supplies.
but, the thing that was so amazing to me was: They wanted to DO something. They cared!
that is when I realized - - quality people never lose the desire to be needed and to help ... it is as natural as breathing to most of us and doesn't stop even though our bodies don't operate the way it used to.
Old people seem to be happier doing something for someone else than to be thinking about themselves.
There is the occasional "selfish" oldster, and when you observe them very long - - you begin to understand why they seem a bit lonely.
The most important thing, however, was the conversation and the idea that someone from "outside" would come in and talk to them, spend time with them ... I learned so much. <wave>
I will be anxious to read what all you have done. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: