View Single Post
Old 10-10-2010, 02:52 PM
pgthom

Some members asked me to post pics of my antique quilt collection, so here goes. Surprised me how much work this is, taking them out to the line, photographing, taking them down and refolding. Good side benefit is they got aired and refolded which I try to do periodically. Was warm here in MI today, so I worked up a sweat wrapped in all these quilts!! Had to take them back to the carpeted floor in the studio to avoid folding in any downed leaves!!!
They are in various conditions as you will see from my comments. I cherish them all for their beautiful colors and all the love that went into their creation. Hope you enjoy seeing them too!
Sad part is that not one of them has the name of the quilter or the date on it. I know which ones my g-grandmother made, and will note that on the comments.

Huge nine patch on point coverlet. No batting, muslin back. I love the soft colors and scrappy nature of this one. .
[ATTACH=CONFIG]89526[/ATTACH]

Detail showing the only damaged area. Will try to mend this during the winter.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]89619[/ATTACH]

This is a unique border with the little hexagons. Nicely hand quilted with flowers and hearts.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]89847[/ATTACH]

Nice pieced wedding ring. I believe the centers were turkey red, which was a rather unstable dye. Has faded out to a brownish red. Hand quilted.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]89848[/ATTACH]

Mariner's compass? Again a scrappy beauty, lovely soft aged colors.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]89982[/ATTACH]

Close up of wedding ring, again flour sack fabrics were used. Hand quilted with a sort of four pointed star design. Muslin backing.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]90289[/ATTACH]

Old flour sack fabrics on the stars. The backing, which I believe is "younger" than the top. Beautiful job regardless.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]114729[/ATTACH]

This is a coverlet, with no batting. Love the scappy nature of all these stars! Think someone later finished the old pieced top as the backing looks more contemporary to me.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]114731[/ATTACH]

Appliqued flowerpots and birds. Some age discoloration, but I still love it. Should add a binding and give it a good soak.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]114742[/ATTACH]

These flowers and bird have faded out. May try to restore using some vintage flour sack fabrics I have.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]115109[/ATTACH]

Some of the unique birds on a cactus!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]115330[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-89521.jpe   attachment-89614.jpe   attachment-89842.jpe   attachment-89843.jpe   attachment-89977.jpe  

attachment-90284.jpe   attachment-90569.jpe   attachment-114724.jpe   attachment-114726.jpe   attachment-114737.jpe  

attachment-115104.jpe   attachment-115325.jpe