View Single Post
Old 10-10-2010, 05:54 PM
Ramona Byrd

[quote=craftybear]very nice, you know that just gave me an idea, all of us quilting board members needs to make some Christmas decorations and ornaments and take to the local nursing homes!
--------------------------------
When my late DH was in the nursing home for 3 years, I would catch sales of large teddy bears and baby sized dolls. I'd dress the dolls like babies and wrap them in a receiving blanket, then take them all to the nursing home. I'd noticed some old ladies rocking a rolled blanket as babies. So after getting permission,
I'd take the dolls to each lady pointed out to me. One of them snatched the baby and started rocking it, and when I reached down to pull back the blanket to show her the doll's face, she started screaming that I was trying to kidnap her baby. The nurse said that when young the old lady's own baby had been kidnapped briefly, and now her mind was still in that time frame.
Older men too, enjoy the cuddly teddy bears.

Emergency Rooms in hospitals also are a good place for these, since lots of old folks are sent there and just sit..and sit..and sit. If they had something soft to cuddle it would make the time pass faster for them. As long time hospital volunteers, my sister and I firmly believe in giving to those who no longer can tell anyone what they want.