Old 10-10-2010, 06:29 PM
QuiltingGrannie
Banned

11 hours from home, with quilting being the last thing on my mind at that exact time, I made a connection with a fellow quilter, and still later made a connection with someone wanting me to make her one maybe two quilts!

I was at the viewing for my sister in law (who passed away on 10/5/10), feeling a bit lost, sad, tired and not knowing most of the people who were there. I walked back into the chapel room and started talking with one of the ladies sitting there with my niece-in -law's daughter. We hit it off from the start. She asked how I was related, where I was from etc. (She grew up with my niece-i-law). I told her I was from TN. She turned to look at me closer and asked me if I knew where Jonesborough, TN was! I laughed and said that I lived there! Long story short - she has wanted to visit Jonesborough for ever and now is planning to come visit for Story telling next year, wants to take a quilting class from me and to teach a kids class on quilting in our quilt shop (She makes art quilts). (I hope to be open by then!) We felt this bond like we were kindred spirits!

Later more people came in with my niece-in-law and while she was introducing them to my DH and I - the one lady reached out to shake my hand and instead of saying something such as "sorry for your loss", or "it's nice to meet you", she looked at me and said," You're the quilter!?" I was at a loss for words for a few seconds, but we stepped aside and talked a few minutes. We exchanged business cards. She wants at least one t-shirt quilt made. She may change her mind when I quote prices, but we will see.

So, when you least expect it, beware - there are quilters and people who want quilts everywhere!