View Single Post
Old 10-13-2010, 05:18 PM
PMY in QCA-IL

I read all the posts, now hope I can remember the things I was going to add:
Harbor Freight has an extendable "wand" with a strong magnet on the end for picking up pins, etc. (look with the automotive stuff probably)
I picked up a plastic shrimp deveiner when we were in Florida and it's perfect for stuffing doll parts or poking out corners when turning something right-side out
I taped a large diameter drinking straw to the side of my sewing machine to hold my always disappearing "PURPLE THANG" or any other stiletto
I, too, use cute cookie cutters for quilting designs - you can position some of the animals "nose to nose" and "tail to tail" to make continuous line quilting
Bought two bathroom drawer cabinets and a countertop long enough to leave a 24" gap between the two. My DH built a well in the "gap" to hold my machine even with the top, so I have a nice sewing surface and 8 good drawers for "stuff"
I have a suspended ceiling in my basement sewing room. I bought several plant hangers made to hang from the tracks in the ceiling and can hang stencils, templates, hoops, many more thing in bags from these hooks (using shower curtain hooks)
Have a hanging jewelry organizer on the wall for little odds and ends
Empty check boxes make great organizers for floss, pencils, markers
Kitchen utensil racks mounted on a wall make great holders for rulers and rotary cutters
The small zipper bags you can get for meds make great organizers for buttons, needles, hooks and eyes and snaps
Pencil bags are great for small projects
I'm sure I could add more if I thought some more - maybe later.