View Single Post
Old 10-13-2010, 07:43 PM
e4

I have an Ansley 26 (Tin Lizzie's big sister) and like it very much. I second what others have said - invest in going to a quilt show and try every machine and get all the prices. Some machines are really easy to move, others a bit harder and your style of work dictates what you will like. I used an HQ Avante in some classes and found that the movement was so easy that I wiggled way too much, but some people loved it's soft easy flow. The Ansley gave me a bit more control. Also, a quilt show will let you try larger and smaller throats. Realistically, if you are doing the movement yourself, you will have the best control in the first 1 ft deep area of quilting so a larger throat may not be helpful to you if you have short arms and need to stretch too much. If you are going to get a computerized version a longer throat definitely is a help since you can quilt a larger area and roll the quilt less often.
At the show:
1) Test every machine - don't assume that one machine by a maker is like all the others - each has different features and feel.
2) Ask them to show you how they load and unload and roll the quilts. They may balk since they don't want to have undo a quilt, but they can undo a small section or at least show you step by step how it is done on their machine. Some roll much easier than others.
3) Find out what comes with the machine (standard) and what options there are. Some have adjustable length and height frames, some don't come with rails (you buy your own at a local building supply store), some have electronic lifts others don't; some have special handles and/or feet for doing micro work, but those often are extra. Think about what you want and will do and that will help you decide what features you want and are willing to pay for.
4) If they say the frame is "adjustable" find out how the frame is adjusted. It is not a simple process to extend the length of most frames - it takes time and elbow grease. What size quilts do you want to quilt? Also, height's typically are adjustable, but some are on pneumatic lifts and others you practically have to take apart to raise or lower. That may not be important to you - again, know what you are paying for.
5) Know how much room you have and talk to the dealer about the amount of space the machine and frame and room to quilt really takes. I got a 12 ft frame (4 feet deep) and just barely had room to set it up even in a large room I thought would be plenty big enough. For a 12 foot frame, you would need at least a 15 X 8 or 9 ft space if you want to quilt free motion from the front and pantographs from the back and be able to get around without crawling under the frame!
6) Ask where the closest local dealer is. For the machines you are interested in make sure the dealer is close enough for you to get to classes, get help, make repairs, and get supplies if you need them fast.
7) Go visit the dealer and talk to them to make sure you are compatible. I finally made the decision on the Ansley because the Tin Lizzie dealer is closer and friendlier than any other dealer within an hour and a half radius of me. That means a lot.