View Single Post
Old 07-20-2007, 07:51 PM
Cathe

I got the pattern from an old (1980's) Quilt Magazine. I traced the patterns onto template plastic and then cut my pieces using the rotary cutter, in layers of 8, around the templates. You have to be careful not to cut up the template, but it's not too hard if you use a new blade. Seriously, it took longer to cut than to sew. I made a crutch to make sure I didn't mess up the color placement. If I were just making it for me, I would have used more fabrics for a scrappy effect, but I will be teaching it as a class so I have to be able to list yardages and keep it simple.

You make the arcs first - for this wallquilt, I made 48 arcs. You can chain piece those - it goes pretty fast. Those are just short straight seams. Then you add end pieces to half of the arcs. Assemble 24 melon shaped pieces by sewing first the short and then the long arcs to the background melon-shaped piece. Once those 24 melon-shaped pieces were done, I just had to assemble the units. Many years ago, I saw a demonstration of this quilt being assembled, and I have always wanted to try it: You sew two melon-shaped units to adjacent sides of that bigger piece of background fabric that looks like a distorted square, so your unit looks like a clamshell. You start in the upper left corner and assemble this whole quilt like a clamshell quilt. At the lower and right side edges, you fill in with the melon-shaped units to finish it off.

I pinned at the ends and centers, but the curves weren't bad because they are so big and gradual. It was easier than I expected.