View Single Post
Old 09-04-2008, 04:23 AM
Quilting Aggi

Originally Posted by abacus
Hey Girls

May I make a suggestion? I am in the process of making the grandmother's flower garden right now. I have seminars that I must sit through (ugh) and having something to do with my hands makes the time fly by.

Get you some fat quarters (or actually a 1/4 yard of off-the-bolt fabric would work just as well. Pick colors that go together. Make a few
"blossoms". That will give a feel for the project without putting too much into it. Then you can get the "pavement" or "sidewalk" fabric when you are ready to put them together. The only fabrics that need to be the same are the 'pathway' and the centers; and even the centers would not have to be the exact fabric.

In my pattern, the pathways are joined point to point with dark green diamond shapes in between. Sorta looks like grass growing throught the cracks in the sidewalk!

I spent my time watching the Olympics and cutting hexagons, marking hexagons, cutting fabric, and sewing blossoms together. Its amazing how much you can get done with just a few minutes here, and a few minutes there.

Above all -- Have fun!!!

PS I am using a template that I cut from plastic. (Not as expense laden as using individual paper templates). If you do that, it is extremely important to mark the dots, so that you sew from one dot to the next. Believe me!!

Another place I would suggest you check out is www.brandysquiltpatterns.com She has a tutorial on GFG that I think you would find interesting.
I like your pavement and grass idea between the flowers!!! How far along are you on your project?