Thread: Batting
View Single Post
Old 10-14-2010, 05:28 AM
Jan in VA

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Originally Posted by ckcowl
Hobbs heirloom 80/20 is a good choice, there are different 'lofts' available you can get a really thin one (i think it's the 'select' but not sure)but it was just perfect for my son who lives in Florida. I would not use flannel if he does not like the feel of flannel. and flannel does make them heavier than using the hobbs batting. i have had to deal with these problems myself, all 3 of the guys in my family; 2-son's & nephew moved to warm climates but they still love quilts...they just don't want them hot! the hobbs has been the best choice i have found.
I think CK is meaning Quilters Dream Cotton which has several lofts: Request=thinnest, Select=most popular, and two others loftier than that. These are beautifully packaged, true to size, good quality battings made in Virginia.

Hobbs Heirloom 80/20, a loft similar to Quilters Dream Select, is extremely popular in Texas, where it is made (Waco), and also comes in Organic Cotton and some other variations. It was highly touted by Harriet Hargraves in the original machine quilting how-to book in the 1990s and is still a wonderful batting.

To me these are the most comfortable battings available and can be quilted up to 8" apart, so they are comfortable for the quilter as well.

Jan in VA